Vegan Pasta made with Pumpkin & Coconut Milk
Pumpkin and pasta combination may sound pretty weird to some of you, but I can assure you that it is one of the best pasta sauces I have ever made! I have to admit, I don’t eat much pasta, but just couldn’t resist once I saw this pumpkin shaped pasta at Trader Joe’s! I had pumpkin puree leftovers from another recipe, so, I decided to make a vegan pasta sauce that would go perfect with it.
This one-pot Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is super creamy and flavorful thanks to coconut milk, pumpkin puree, and perfect seasonings.
I sprinkled the pasta with fresh parsley and nutritional yeast, that I became totally obsessed with lately. Despite an amazing cheesy flavor, nutritional yeast has many health benefits. It is a great source of protein and B vitamins. This simple recipe makes around two servings. The combination of pasta, pumpkin, coconut milk and seasonings make the perfect, quick fall weeknight dinner.
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let me know what you think!
- 1 cup dry Trader Joe's Zucchette Pasta or any other pasta like penne, rotini etc.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (option but adds a great flavor)
- salt, pepper
- parsley, nutritional yeast for serving
- Cook pasta in a large pot of water.
- In a skillet, melt coconut oil. Add garlic, pumpkin puree, tomato paste.
- Combine with coconut milk, all the seasonings, nutritional yeast, water/broth, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Let the sauce simmer for around 5-10 minutes.
- Stir the drained pasta in to the sauce. Divide between bowls, sprinkle with fresh parsley and nutritional yeast for an extra flavor.
Ingredients I used:
fall zucchette pasta from Trader Joe’s