Healthy Sweet Potato Donuts (gluten free)
Sweet potatoes are my favorite. However, after eating these Sweet Potato Donuts, I love them even more! They make the donuts incredibly moist, delicate, tender and add natural sweetness. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover roasted sweet potatoes. If you don’t have any, simply begin by roasting two small, or one medium sweet potato. I used cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and a hint of ginger to spice the sweet potato donuts. As a result they came out to be just the perfect amount of spice, without being overpowering. These sweet potato donuts are packed with nourishing ingredients and are really simple to make. No refined sugars or processed flours you can find here! They are much healthier way to satisfy your donut cravings!
- 3/4 cup oatmeal flour
- 1/4 cup gluten flour baking mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- large egg
- 1/4 cup plant based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil, cooled
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp dried or fresh orange peel
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tsp soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp powdered non GMO birch xylitol (I blend mine in a blender)
- 1 tbsp plant based milk
- handful of chopped pecans for decoration
- Preheat oven to 360 F / 180C and lightly greased a donut pan.
- In a bowl, mix sweet potatoes, egg, milk, coconut oil and honey.
- Combine with flours, all the spices, soda and apple cider vinegar.
- Transfer the batter to a plastic zip-lock bag and cut off one of the bottom corners. That way you can pipe the batter into the donut pan. Pipe the batter into the 5 lightly greased donut wells.
- Bake for around 25 minutes. Let it cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered xylitol and milk. Add more milk if needed.
- Dip each donut in the glaze and place it onto the wire rack or a plate to let the glaze set. Top with chopped pecans.