Healthy Chicken Pad Thai
I never knew what Pad Thai dish is all about until the day I finally tried it. It tasted amazing, better than I expected but you need to admit that this is definitely not a dish you can let yourself have too often! I decided to recreate the recipe and here it is! Healthy Chicken Pad Thai that will make you not want to get a take out ever again! Recreating dishes we love is my favorite. The main reason is because you can lighten it up making the meal much healthier, by substituting a few ingredients.
The preparation is easier than you think. All that needs to be done is to cook the chicken, red pepper and eggs, mix up the sauce, boil the noodles, combine it all together and done! I used brown rice noodles which added much more health nutrients like protein and fiber. Feel free to substitute chicken for shrimp or rice noodles for zucchini noodles which will make it lighter, but still flavorful and delicious. Bean sprouts were extremaly hard to find in my local grocery stores, so I swaped them out for …. and it still worked! However, if you are looking for more authentic version – use the bean sprouts! They usually should have them in bigger farmers markets.
The Pad Thai sauce is everything and that’s what really make this dish. There is so much going on! Perfectly sweet thanks to maple syrup, tangy from the balsamic vinegar and a little spicy (you can omit the chili flakes if you’d like). The most important ingredient that enhances a flavor and saltiness of the dish is a fish sauce. I was a little skeptical about it at first, but don’t skip it! It really gives pad thai a real taste without tasting too fishy. What’s more it’s full of the vital nutrients and minerals contained in fish, enhanced by fermentation. What I also love about this recipe is a crunchy texture. Peanuts. A lot of peanuts. I added some while cooking and then sprinkled good amount of top, along with green onions and alfalfa sprouts. Yum! This Healthy Chicken Pad Thai recipe is a must try. Doesn’t matter if you are a pad thai lover or just want to try something new. You won’t regret it!
- 2 packages brown rice noodles
- 500 g chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp chicken ghee butter
- half of a red bell pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped + 2 extra to garnish
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Alfalfa sprouts or bean sprouts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp red paper flakes (optional)
- salt, pepper
- green onion
- alfalfa sprouts
- chopped peanuts
- fresh lime
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook it in a large pan until cooked through, transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce by mixing all ingredients.
- To the same pan, add red bell pepper and sauté 1-2 minutes. Add chopped green onion, alfalfa sprouts and garlic. Cooked another minute.
- Add chicken, move all of it on one side of the pan and cracked two eggs. Break it up with a spoon and stir together.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture.
- Top with extra sprouts, green onion, chopped peanuts, and lime juice.